Call for expression of interest for
Individual consultants for USAID MEASURE II evaluation, assessment and research support in November 2020 – September 2021
USAID is committed to key principles and practices that foster a results-oriented culture within the Agency and makes every effort to ensure strong oversight of its development assistance. Rigorous monitoring, evaluation, and learning is an integral component of successful, evidence-based development programming. It is also a critical part of USAID’s stewardship of public funds used to promote sustainable development around the world.
USAID’s Monitoring and Evaluation Support Activity II (MEASURE II) is a five-year activity launched in September 2019. It is an extension of its first MEASURE-BiH project, which evaluated USAID’s development programs in Bosnia and Herzegovina. MEASURE II continues to provide USAID and its implementing partners with on-demand evaluation, assessment, and research support (research).
In FY2021, MEASURE II is seeking to enhance its roster of experts in the following program areas: agriculture, support to small-medium enterprises, inter-group relations, governance and democratic processes, and program evaluation.
Call for applications:
We are looking for expressions of interest from consultants, with subject-matter expertise in the following key areas:
- agricultural and agribusiness development and competitiveness, agricultural policy and regulatory reform, EU standards in the agricultural sector, and agricultural market chain development;
- SME start-up development and access to finance, SME business enabling environment reforms and workforce development;
- social identities, building trust and social cohesion among different ethnic groups; and democratic and political processes, elections and voter behavior; and
- program evaluation in accordance with USAID standards (https://www.usaid.gov/evaluation).
General scope of work to be performed:
Selected consultants will work on the following tasks:
- contributing to development of a research work plan
- providing methodological/subject-matter orientation training to members of the research team
- conducting a literature review
- developing data collection instruments
- conducting data collection (i.e. through key informant interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, and other techniques)
- performing quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis
- preparing and/or delivering presentations of research findings
- preparing research reports
- drafting answers to comments received on the draft research report
- preparing the final research report, and
- addressing comments and finalizing the research report
The selected consultants will work as part of a research team with one or more additional consultants. The work of the research team will be supported and supervised by MEASURE II staff.
The contract of each individual consultant involved in the research will determine their precise scope of work, deliverables and reporting requirements. The consultants will be required to produce deliverables that meet high quality standards and strict deadlines in each phase of the research.
General timeframe for performance of work:
Work in the above listed areas is expected to begin in at some point between November 2020 and September 2021, with the exact timing depending on receipt of an official task order from USAID/BiH. Short-listed candidates will be contacted regarding next steps in the selection process as soon as the task order request is received.
- Master’s Degree (at a minimum) in social sciences, economics, monitoring and evaluation, development studies or a related subject-matter field.
- For consultants – subject-matter experts: the candidate should have a minimum of ten (10) years of work experience in the sector(s) relevant for the particular research in BiH and proven recognition of subject-matter expertise and research skills.
- For consultants – research (technical) experts: the candidate should have experience in a minimum of two (2) evaluations and/or assessments conducted for USG agencies (including evaluation of local policies/programs conducted with support of USG funds), preferably as a lead/co-lead.
- For all consultants: The candidates must have a proven record of effective data collection with high-ranking government officials, relevant business sector representatives, media and/or NGOs/CSOs.
- The candidates must be fluent in English, with the ability to produce well-written reports and demonstrated analytical and communication skills.
- The candidates should have a sound understanding of and firm commitment to USAID’s mandate and values.
- BiH citizenship is required.
This call is open for 30 days.
In this phase, interested consultants should submit their application packages, which will include:
- Curriculum Vita (CV)
- Reference list with three references (name, phone, e-mail)
- Two pieces of written work authored by the applicant, which demonstrate the consultant’s methodological approach, analytical and drafting skill, and/or relevant subject-matter expertise.
- Expected gross (net + taxes/contributions) daily rate stated in convertible marks. Expected daily rate should be based on a level of effort not exceeding 30 work days.
Application packages should be submitted to email@example.com.
Depending on the type of consultancy that is being applied for, the title of e-mail should read:
“Consultant service offer – ”, and note technical or subject-matter expert.
MEASURE II will invite shortlisted candidates for an interview, which will include a short verification of English writing skills. The selected candidates will be included on a MEASURE II roster for other upcoming research in FY2021 and beyond.
MEASURE II retains the right to cancel the procurement for candidates in any phase and without obligation to offer justification at any stage before the contract is signed.
Please, no telephone or e-mail inquiries.